Deprecated: Function get_currentuserinfo is deprecated since version 4.5.0! Use wp_get_current_user() instead. in /var/www/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5383

Blog page

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jdudeo
    Participant

I may be missing something really obvious here but I can’t seem to figure out how to set up a blog page, I don’t see the blog template in the page’s drop down menu as is indicated in the manual. I don’t see the option for 404 page either

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Jdudeo,

please excuse me if this part was confusing in the manual – the blog posts page in WordPress is set via the “Settings -> Reading” admin menu, the second half of the “Front page displays” option; the “404” page is a separate template which is used automatically for any URL that does not exist on the website, i.e. an error page. You can type anything after your website’s home URL and visit that address to see the “404” page ;)

I will rewrite and expand this place in the theme manual, thank you for pointing this out!

Sincerely,
    Andrew / Satori Studio

jdudeo
    Participant

Ok thanks for the guidance, I have a separate question about the custom gallery shortcode, specifically how do I use it? What I want to do is insert a gallery into a regular blog post that will hopefully look like a gallery portfolio post but with text and other elements around it, is this possible?

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Jdudeo,

the “gallery” shortcode is designed to insert a gallery into a post, page, or project, which will look and function similarly to the native WordPress gallery but has more customization options. The “gallery” project format can only use images at the moment – but after your comment I thought that there’s indeed no reason why it shouldn’t display text as well, so I’ve prepared an update: please download this archive, unzip it, and upload the contained files into the theme folder (/wp-content/themes/Ikebana).

I will include this feature into the upcoming theme update as well (version 1.4), thank you for pointing this out!

Please let me know if this works for you!

Sincerely,
    Andrew / Satori Studio

jdudeo
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

I’m not sure we’re on the same page here, what I was talking about is the [custom_gallery] shortcode and inserting it into regular blog posts, but really what I’m looking for is something like this http://jgarcia.hungry.jp/?p=401
    But with possibly some text before and after the gallery, like the gallery was incorporated into a regular blog post.
    I have no idea how to use the [custom_gallery] shortcode anyway though, if there’s a manual somewhere on how to get it to display a gallery I would be grateful.

And the other thing is that I can’t actually seem to be able to create a gallery blog post like the one in your sample content, if I try to look at your gallery post from the admin area, I don’t see any images attached to it at all.
    Trying it myself I can’t get a regular gallery blog post to work either, if you look here:
    http://jgarcia.hungry.jp/?page_id=9
    the first post of the page “もんちゃん” is a gallery post, where I’ve attached one image as an “eyecatch” (as it says in jp wordpress) and 2 others as media added to the page which show up if you view the blog post on its own.

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Jdudeo!

I will cover the issues in the same order:

1). Now I see what you mean. If you need a shortcode to insert a slider into a project/page/post, please try the [nivo_slider] shortcode – the [custom_gallery] shortcode creates a tiled list of images, not a slider (I apologize for this confusing naming, I will need to correct this in the manual and in the theme itself!). You can find the usage examples and available options for each shortcode in the second Appendix of the theme manual. Please note that the update I’ve provided in the previous post allows you to create a gallery-format project with a slider at the top and text/other content underneath, so it this is what you need as a result, you can also try it out ;)

2). Regarding the gallery-format blog post – could you please tell me if you’ve uploaded new images into that post – or used some existing ones from the medial library? As noted in the manual page 8, the “gallery”-format will only use the images that are attached to that particular post, which in WordPress means they were uploaded into that particular post. If this does not help, please send me your admin login and password to support@satoristudio.net (no disclosure guaranteed) – I will troubleshoot the issue and get back to you as soon as possible!

Best,
    Andrew / Satori Studio

jdudeo
    Participant

“the “gallery”-format will only use the images that are attached to that particular post, which in WordPress means they were uploaded into that particular post.”

Ok I just figured out what this means, I was totally not grasping the concept of how your sample content was working but it’s all clear now and I can create galleries. The only real problem I have now with the galleries is that they don’t display properly on my home page (as I mentioned in my other forum thread)

As for the nivo slider shortcode I’ve managed to get it working but it seems to have some problem with the images being different proportions as seen here: http://jgarcia.hungry.jp/?p=612
    I’m guessing this is something related to nivo itself and I’ll just have to make all my images the same proportions?

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Jdudeo,

concerning the nivo slider images – indeed, that looks messy, my apologies for this; I will work on it to fix the slider, yet so far you can just use images that have identical dimensions for the slider.

I’ve posted a reply regarding the galleries in your other thread.

Sincerely,
    Andrew / Satori Studio

jdudeo
    Participant

Ok thanks apart from that I really like the feel of the Nivo slider, very smooth

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.