Deprecated: Function get_currentuserinfo is deprecated since version 4.5.0! Use wp_get_current_user() instead. in /var/www/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5383

Argh, I've broken it :)

New Front EN Support Forums Kanso Theme Support Argh, I've broken it :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    thoughton
    Participant

Hi Andrii,

I might have done something stupid. In my quest for page speed I used ‘ImageOptim’ (sort of a PNG crush type app) to reduce the size of all my uploaded images.

At first everything looked fine, images were 10-30% smaller, and everything worked.

However then I loaded the site on an iPad, and everything appears fine at first, but after a few seconds all the images started disappearing and being replaced by empty (broken link) images. It looks like there is some function that replaces normal images with Retina ones?

I’ve tried deleting those images and re-uploading but I’m getting the same problem.

Any ideas what I’ve done wrong, and how to fix?

Sorry!

thoughton
    Participant

In case it helps you with debugging I’ve discovered I can prevent the images vanishing if I delete retina.js

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Timothy,

are you using the ImageOptim itself or the Optimus WP plugin?

You can safely delete the retina.js script, it serves @2x images on high-density displays, yet in case there are none, you can go without it and not lose anything in terms of initial quality. If you want, you can install the Simple WP Retina plugin to improve images on retina devices.

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

thoughton
    Participant

I was downloading images from the uploads folder, then using ImageOptim on my Mac, and reuploading them. I’ve done this before on other WP sites and everything seemed okay.

Ideally I would like retina.js to work, but something has gone wrong with it. It is removing every image on the site, including all of the ones that don’t have a @2x version. Shouldn’t it ignore the ones that don’t have @2x versions? I’m pretty sure it used to work properly, but in the last week or so something has gone wrong and I can’t think what.

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Timothy,

yes, the retina.js script should only replace images which have @2x versions; the fact that images are not showing at all hints at compatibility problems between the retina.js code and the ImageOptim plugin. I would recommend trying our the WP plugin I’ve mentioned above to see if it works fine with the ImageOptim optimized pictures.

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

thoughton
    Participant

Thanks Andrii,

I’ve already tried fixing my problem using Simple WP Retina yesterday but it didn’t work.

I also yesterday restored my local uploads folder via Time Machine, and re-uploaded the (non optimsed) images. Retina.js still goes crazy and removes everything!

Anyway, I’ve run out of time and budget on this one. I will just comment out the retina.js call on line 19 of functions.php and leave the site as is. Most of the important bits are retina anyway, the logo, and the photo gallery featured images.

Thanks for all your assistance!

Tim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.