Deprecated: Function get_currentuserinfo is deprecated since version 4.5.0! Use wp_get_current_user() instead. in /var/www/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5383

blog setups

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    leslyejoy
    Participant

Hi Andrii. I want to add a blog to my site and there are some things I don’t understand.
    1. How do I create a “home page” for the blog that the “blog” menu item in the main nav would link to? Or is the setup just that when choosing the blog menu item the link goes to the most recent post, i.e., no blog home page? And a related question: When I add the blog menu item, what url does it link to?
    2. When creating a post, I only get layout options for full width, left sidebar, and right sidebar. Is there supposed to be a blog post layout?
    3. The Ikebana demo shows a blog page with a right sidebar that lists categories. I have chosen the right sidebar layout and tried to add the categories widget but it doesn’t show up in my post. I would also like to feature a list of recent posts in the right sidebar. I have tried to create a custom sidebar with the better recent posts widget but it also doesn’t show up in my post.
    As always, thanks for your great support! Hope you can help.
    Leslye

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Leslye,

I will cover the questions in the same order:

1). This is not theme-dependent, as content is separated from presentation in WordPress; you can set up the blog posts page in the “Settings -> Reading” admin section, and it can be added as a menu item in the “Appearance -> Menus” admin section. See e.g. this guide for more details.

2). Not sure I understood the question – could you please clarify? The three layouts you mention determine how a blog post will look like, i.e. they are layouts for the blog post content type. Might I be missing the point here?

3). The widgets you add to the “Sidebar” widget area in the “Appearance -> Sidebars” will appear on each page or post which has a right-sidebar or left-sidebar layout, as well as the blog posts page, which always has a sidebar by design in Ikebana. When you choose a blog posts page as mentioned in the first point above, it will display all widgets added to the “Sidebar” widgets area automatically; each individual post will display the same widgets as well, unless you give it a “full-width” layout.

I know WP can seem convoluted at times, I hope that makes it clearer!

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

leslyejoy
    Participant

Hi Andrii I’m still having trouble and can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Two issues:

I want to leave my home page the same (I want it to be a static page that shows my portfolio) and I want to create a separate page that will display my blog. I thought I created the separate page according to the wordpress instructions (as a new page) but when I tried to click on it in the pages list in admin, I got a 404 error. I don’t want to make a blog menu item yet because I don’t want anyone to click on it and get an error.
    2. I have made four trial blog posts and they are having all sorts of problems. I set up a custom sidebar for recent posts and only one of the four shows it on preview. When I click on some of the posts in the posts list in admin, sometimes they show up and sometimes I get a 404. But most of the time I get another page on my site entirely (what’s in a name?). I also get this page when I click on anything in the recent posts list. I have tried all of this in published public, published private, and draft mode. I am sure it’s something I’m doing wrong but I’m stumped about what it is. Hope you can help. I am happy to email you my login info if you want to take a look. Thanks!

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Leslye,

it is most probably not theme-related, as 404-errors are usually rooted in server-side issues, yet I will have a look in any case – could you please send the login details to support[at]satoristudio.net? Thanks!

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

leslyejoy
    Participant

Sent. Thanks so much!

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Leslye,

I’ve looked at the admin settings and here are the results:
    – the blog posts page (http://www.ljwood.com/blog/) is working fine on my machine, I couldn’t replicate the 404 error, could you please try again on yours and let me know if it works as intended at the moment?
    – I’ve changed the permalink structure from the weird custom setting to “Post name” in the “Settings -> Permalinks” admin menu, after that none of the problems you mentioned above seem to appear anymore. Could you please verify?

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

leslyejoy
    Participant

Yes, the stuff you fixed is working fine now. Thank you so much! I only have one lingering issue. I have set up a custom sidebar (called blogging from the lab) that includes three sections: a blurb about the blog, recent posts, and categories. These three sections appear fine on each individual post but on the front blog page, only categories shows. I know you have already gone above and beyond but if you can help with this, I will be so grateful. Thanks, Andreii!

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Leslye,

glad to hear the URL issues have been resolved!
    In order to assign a specific custom sidebar to the blog posts page, you’ll need to visit the “Default sidebars” tab of the “Appearance -> Custom Sidebars” admin section, click on the “Main blog page” under the “Default sidebars for archives” section, and choose the required sidebar from the drop-down; I’ve done this for you, please check that the widgets displayed on the blog posts page are proper ones at the moment.

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

leslyejoy
    Participant

Perfect. I didn’t know about those settings and now I have also been able to apply them to the category archives. You are the best of the best, Andrii. Thank you so much!

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Glad I could help!
    Should you face other issues, do not hesitate to contact me.

Best,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.