Deprecated: Function get_currentuserinfo is deprecated since version 4.5.0! Use wp_get_current_user() instead. in /var/www/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5383

Is it possible to completely remove the top bar menu?

New Front EN Support Forums Ikebana Theme Support Is it possible to completely remove the top bar menu?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    skafte
    Participant

Hi there,

Hope you are well and thanks a lot for the latest update of Ikebana! Nice one!

I am planning/trying to see if I can use only the icon menu and get rid of the top bar menu completely. So, can you recommend a suitable and easy way to do this, which doesn’t involve changing every single page template?

I am making all my amends by using a child-theme – just in case that should make it easier somehow…

Also, is there somehow a way of getting rid of the ‘/project/’ in permalinks?

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Jonas

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Jonas,

if you want to get rid of the top bar completely, you can go two ways:
    1). remove the code that generates it from the “header.php” theme file (found in the theme’s root folder): lines 75-142
    2). OR just add a CSS rule to not display it:

#header { display: none !important; }

this will not physically remove the code, i.e. it will still be loaded into the browser, yet it will never be displayed to the users.

Regarding your second question – this one is rather tricky. In fact, I’ve spent quite some time battling with this issue for one of my other projects as well. It seems that in WordPress the slugs for custom post types (which is what Projects are) cannot be removed via the admin back-end – the only solution I know of is to create rewrite rules in the website’s .htacess file. There is a plugin that helps you accomplish exactly that – yet I’d recommend extreme caution with rewrite rules as they may affect how search engines and users see your website.

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

skafte
    Participant

Thanks Andrii! This is brilliant!

I went with the CSS solution as it will make it easier to update the theme in the future.

Now I’ve only got to find out how to make the top padding the same on the portfolio page as and on all the normal pages – it seems that the portfolio page adopt the padding settings between the items to the top as well, which means that there’s more space at the top than on normal page.

I added

body {
    padding-top: 8px;
    }

Which made it look like this:

http://theme.alternativet.dk/project/test/ — VS — http://theme.alternativet.dk/tag-portfolio/home/

Any ideas of where I can try and solve this myself? Thanks…

Re. the slugs – thanks for providing the link to the plugin as well as giving me some insight into why this problem occur. I was wondering, as a completely different way out of this issue, if it would be possible to make blog post and/or pages appear in the portfolio somehow instead of, or alongside, the projects? That would also solve the issue of RSS feed too! (that is if you, like I am, are basically using projects as ‘news’)… Might not be possible at all, but just thought that it would be worth a shot :-)

Thanks,

Jonas

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Jonas,

please try this CSS:

body { padding-top: 16px; }
    body.page-portfolio { padding-top: 8px !important; }

Concerning the second question: displaying regular posts in the portfolio grid hasn’t been envisaged in Ikebana – it is possible, yet would require some considerable changes in the code of several core template files. I’d recommend trying out the plugin solution first, it does work for me on several instances of WordPress.

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.