Deprecated: Function get_currentuserinfo is deprecated since version 4.5.0! Use wp_get_current_user() instead. in /var/www/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5383

Header Menu & One Page Setup Issues

New Front EN Support Forums Kanso Theme Support Header Menu & One Page Setup Issues

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    hianalytics
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to accomplish three things:

1. Activate One Page Mode
    2. Re-order the pages on the header menu AND on the one page mode (in this order: Home, About, Portfolio, Contact)
    3. Setup a new contact form (using the theme’s contact form builder)

My issues are as follows / what I’ve tried

1. & 2. : Cannot get the layout correct, I cannot get the pages in the right order in the header nor in the correct order on the page layout, the header links do not link to the correct page (have the value (#pageholder…)
    3. Not sure where this is or how to go about it…

Anyone know how to fix?

Thank you!

Great theme though and I can’t wait to get it setup, starting using and give some great feedback! :)

hianalytics
    Participant

Ok I actually answered my own questions about #1 and #2.

I am still not sure about #3 BUT I also have a follow up question:

4. How do I mimic the portfolio section from ‘one page demo’ of the kanso theme? In other words, what is the relationship between the page portfolio and each project? How do I setup the images, image hover over, etc? I don’t understand the relationship between these parts of the theme.

Thanks!

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Hianalytics,

first of all, thank you for the purchase!

Glad you’ve sorted out the one-page mode; I will go over the other questions in the same order:

3). You can insert a contact form by using the button that looks like a little form, right under the title line while in the page editor mode (see screenshot on page 8 of the theme manual). Please note that you need the “Contact Form Generator” plugin to be installed and activated to do that; the plugin is packaged with the theme, and it will ask you to install that one and several other plugins once you activate the theme itself.

4). A portfolio is a page that has been given a “Portfolio” layout from the “Template” drop-down in the “Page Attributes” box on the right hand side of the page editor screen. The portfolio page is a “container” that will display all existing portfolio projects (just like a blog posts page shows all existing blog posts), which can be created in the “Portfolio -> Add New” part of the admin menu. Each portfolio project can have a thumbnail (featured image), just like a classic WordPress post; you can set it in the “Featured Image” box while in the project edit mode. The thumbnail image will display as the background of the respective project in the portfolio grid. The overlays which appear on mouse hover are sourced from excerpts, which can be set in the “Excerpt” box in the project editor mode (in case the box is not present, click on the „Screen Options“ tab in the top right corner of the screen and tick the „Excerpt“ option in the list). You can find more information and screenshots on these topics on pages 6-7 (section “Portfolio”), as well as 9-10 (“Project and Post Formats”) of the theme manual.

Should something be unclear, please let me know!

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

hianalytics
    Participant

Andrii,

Thank you so much for your response!

I actually didn’t know about the manual until you mentioned it….so your answers make PERFECT sense.

I hope you don’t mind, but I have 2 follow up questions:

5. Now that I have one-page mode successfully activated, whenever I visit a page that ISN’T on the main-homepage ie (www.mysite.com/PAGENAME), I cannot navigate back to that home page. The header menu links do not work and have the ‘#page-holder’ text in the link. Is this a setting that must be tweaked on each page? Or am I missing something?
    6. I want to add a Google Map picture but I do not have the “Page: Google Map” as a template choice for my page settings. (page 8 of the Kanso manual). How do I add this map to my one-page site??

Thank you again for all your help! I promise this will be my last 2 questions :)

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Hianalytics,

5). This is indeed a bug, my apologies and thank you for reporting! I’ve developed a fixed file which I’ve uploaded here. Please download the archive, unzip it, and upload the contained file into the theme folder (/wp-content/themes/Kanso/), replacing the existing file. The menu links outside the one-page template should work like in the theme demo now. Let me know if it helps!

6). Which version of the theme do you have? If it is 1.0 or 1.1, please update to 1.2 (the newest version is always available in the Downloads tab of your ThemeForest account).

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

hianalytics
    Participant

Andrii,

5) Thanks, this worked great!
    6) I’m actually not sure what version I have, I think I have 1.1?

How do I update the theme? I haven’t been able to find a reliable set of instructions on how to do so.

I’ve downloaded the file from themeforest.net but I’m not sure how to update it without overwriting/deleting my content.

Thanks!

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Hianalytics,

regarding your question on how to update a theme: please find the “Kanso-Installable.zip” archive inside the ThemeForest bundle; unzip it – you should get a folder named “Kanso” which contains the theme’s files. Open the folder, select all files inside, and upload them into your theme folder on the server (i.e. /wp-content/themes/Kanso/), rewriting the existing files.

In WordPress, themes are separated from content, in the sense that visual styles are stored in different variables and tables with respect to the content of posts, pages, mages, etc. This means that when you overwrite the theme files with their newer versions, the post, pages, and other content you’ve created is not affected in any way. However, in case you’ve made changes to the theme files themselves and you are not using a child theme, the changes will be gone after you update.

In this case, to make the Google Maps page work, you can upload just the “page_google-map.php”, “page_one-page”, and “header.php” template files instead of copying all the files.

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

hianalytics
    Participant

Thanks for the advice Andrii.

Unfortunately, I think I really messed up after following your instructions. My wordpress site now appears to be completely down and I cannot access my wordpress site at all, even from the admin login. I receive the following error while trying to visit my url and from my admin area:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ‘)’ in /home/content/91/11922791/html/wp-content/themes/Kanso/functions.php on line 657

I did not backup my site (not much on it and you mentioned this being just theme related) so it seems like I’ll have to start from scratch.

If you have any ideas on how to help, please let me know.

hianalytics
    Participant

Scratch that, I’m OK! I’m not sure what happened the first time I FTP’d over the new files from themeforest to my server but after re-doing it a second time al is well.

Sorry for the false alarm!

Thank you thank you thank you for all your help!

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Hianalytics,

it is probable than the ftp upload session was interrupted, and the vital “functions.php” file was only half-way through its upload, which caused the error (I’ve checked the file just in case, no errors in v1.2).

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.