Deprecated: Function get_currentuserinfo is deprecated since version 4.5.0! Use wp_get_current_user() instead. in /var/www/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5383

Excerpts overlay don't show on portfolio projects with no image

New Front EN Support Forums Ikebana Theme Support Excerpts overlay don't show on portfolio projects with no image

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    skafte
    Participant

Is there perhaps a way to change this?

I’m interested in this feature as I wish to have a full opacity (solid colour) overlay on all portfolio projects – both on does that only hold a text field as well as on those that carry an image. However, I do not want to cover the text content (titles etc.) of the hovered project, and so I plan to do this by basically just copying the project title into the excerpt field and in that way the title will stay but the background (image or colour) will be covered when hover. This method works on projects with an image, but not on those without, as the excerpts doesn’t show up for some reason.

Hope that makes sense, if not, do let me know an I’ll elaborate.

Thanks,

Jonas

PS. If there’s a better way to only make the hover overlay cover the background, then I am definitely interested!

skafte
    Participant

Might make more sense to you if I send you a link to my development page: http://theme.alternativet.dk/ – where you can see the difference between how the project hover reacts… NB. All projects have the same excerpt: ‘Testing hover’.

Thanks,

Jonas

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Jonas,

this hasn’t been envisaged in the theme initially because in the absence of an image the text already present in the box should already contain some textual information. However, since it’s a rather simple customization, I can help out: please download this custom file I’ve prepared for you, unzip it, and upload the resulting file into the theme folder (/wp-content/themes/Ikebana/) replacing the existing one if prompted. Please let me know if it does the trick.

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

skafte
    Participant

Thanks Andrii!

Worked like a charm!

Just one more question in this regard; is it possible to somehow make standard projects (in portfolio view) show project titles instead of snippets of its content?

Thanks, your help is much appreciated!

Jonas

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Hey Jonas,

could you please clarify – do you want the project box, or the overlay that appears on the mouse-hover to contain only the title?

Sincerely,
    Andrii / Satori Studio

skafte
    Participant

Good question! Sorry, I should have been more precise.

Ideally I would have liked to have the title showing on both mouse-hover as well as in the project box itself. However, I can do with just copying the title into the excerpt, but then I just need the project box to show the title instead of a snippet of its content. So, in other words; I basically only want the background colour to change on mouse-hover and have the titles always appearing – except if there’s a featured image.

Hope that makes better sense.

Thanks,

skafte
    Participant

I actually reckon that copying the title into the excerpt works great! – as it leaves the option of having another text on mouse-hover – so I am definitely most interested in the latter; to change the content snippets in the text boxes to titles.

Thanks,

mmsatori
    Keymaster

Here you go :)
    Line 105 was modified from the_content() to the_title(), for the reference.

Best,
    A. / Satori Studio

skafte
    Participant

Brilliant! Thanks a lot!

I actually tried doing just that myself, but I got the glyphs wrong and didn’t delete ( __(‘more’, ‘satori’ )); ?>

Anyway, it works now, thanks!

Jonas

skafte
    Participant

Hi again,

Just another quick question :-)

I have now finally got the portfolio set up as I’d like it to be. However, I have realised that I’d like to also be able to show titles on projects with a featured image. So, here’s how I am thinking to work around it:

1) Use excerpts as titles and make them always show, unless hovered, which will hide the excerpt and show the featured image alone.

2) Somehow make the background change colour on text based projects (at the moment, I’ve just copy-pasted the titles into the excerpts as you can see here: http://theme.alternativet.dk/ – and made it look like as if it’s only the background changing colour, which isn’t really the case).

Do you think that’s possible, and if so, could you then perhaps give any advice on how to achieve this?

It might be that there’s a much simpler way to do it? Perhaps forcing the titles to appear (as the excerpts in the original style; with a semi-transparent overlay background box) on only the projects with a featured image…?

I know this might be much to ask for your help with, but if, by any chance, you see an easy solution to this, then your help will be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jonas

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.